French Onion Soup
French onion soup is a classic soup dish which is perfect all year round. This easy to follow French onion soup recipe feeds up to four people and is cooked in under 45 minutes.
- Recipe serves:4
- Preparation time10 min
- Cooking time35 min
- 1 tablespoon Flora Buttery Spread
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 3 cups (750mL) hot water
- 1 Continental Salt Reduced Stock Pot Beef
- 4 slices baguette lightly toasted
- 90g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Melt Flora Buttery Spread in heavy frying pan over a medium heat; cook onions, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Add garlic and thyme, stirring, for a further 10 minutes, or until onions are well browned and very tender, deglaze with sherry.
- Add hot water and Stock Pot, scraping any brown bits from the base of the pan. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Arrange four small soup bowls on a baking tray. Ladle soup into bowls, then top with a slice of bread topped with cheese. Place tray under a preheated grill for 1 minute, or until cheese is golden.
- Hint: Be very careful not to burn the onions, as this will make the soup bitter.