A delicious winter favourite, this beef bourguignon recipe turns beef stew into a family meal. With the goodness of lean beef steak and meaty mushrooms, this French provincial classic conjures up a flavoursome feast, warming the body and soothing the soul with the taste of traditional beef burgundy.
- Recipe serves:4
- Preparation time15 min
- Cooking time60 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil,
- 600g blade or topside steak, lean, trimmed of excess fat and cut into cubes,
- 12 baby onions, peeled, 300g button mushrooms,
- left whole or halved if large,
- 2 tablespoons plain flour,
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste,
- 1 cup red wine,
- 2 cups hot water,
- 1 Continental Beef Stockpot,
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced,
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large heavy based pan and brown beef in batches and set aside.
- Lower heat and add onions and mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook gently for 1-2 minutes. Return beef to pan and add red wine, water and Stockpot and carrots. Cover and simmer gently for 1½ hours, removing the lid for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Garnish beef stew with parsley before serving with steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes.